top of page


Here is some additional information on some common tax forms you will likely see in the world of photography.  Don't worry if you don't know what these forms are for...that's what I'm here to help you with!

Family silly-19.jpg
Family silly-19.jpg

Form 1099-MISC or Form 1099-NEC

You may receive one of these forms if you provide 2nd shooter or editing services for another business. You don't need to do anything with this document. You just need to make sure that this income is included in your gross receipts for your business when you file your income tax return. The IRS will be looking for this income on your tax return.

Click Here to View Form 1099-NEC


Form W-9

You may be asked by another photographer to complete the Form W-9 and return it to them. If you provided 2nd shooter or editing services and you received $600 or more, then they are required by the IRS to issue you a Form 1099-NEC. The information you provide on this form is required to issue you a Form 1099-NEC. If you have an Employer Identification Number (EIN), put this on the form instead of your Social Security Number.

Click Here to View Form W-9

Photographer5 baby.jpg

Schedule C

If your business is treated as a sole proprietorship or single-member Limited Liability Company (LLC), then you will record your income and expenses on the Schedule C on your personal tax return.

Click Here to View Schedule C

Sales Tax Returns

You may have to collect and pay sales tax to the state depending on what types of products you offer.  Sales tax rules are different in every state.  For example, in Nebraska, if you provide your client with something tangible (printed photos or flash-drive), then you are required to collect sales tax on that entire session.  If you only offer photos to download online, then you are not required to collect sales tax.   

Nebraska Sales Tax Return (Form 10)

Nebraska Sales Tax Guide for Photographers

Iowa Sales Tax Return (Form 32-022a)

Iowa Sales Tax Guide on Photography Services

bottom of page